Friday, June 15, 2007

New Study Shows Sleep Deprivation Can Kill You

The following study shows that a sleep deficit built up over just five nights can significantly stress your heart. Let's see, 365 days X 9 years...it's a wonder my heart hasn't exploded.

From the AFP

Chronic sleep deprivation can do more than leave you short-tempered: it can also stress your heart and raise your risk of cardiovascular disease and death, according to a study released Wednesday.

The neurological and behavioural effects of long-term sleep loss have been well-documented, ranging from lowered concentration and hand-eye coordination to poor mood.

But the study by researchers at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine adds to a growing body of evidence that there is also a physiological price to be paid for insufficient time under the sheets.

The study found that a sleep deficit built up over just five nights can significantly stress the heart.

The researchers tested the cardiac function of their 39 volunteers twice -- once at the beginning of the study, after a night of 10 hours' sleep, and again after five nights when they got a mere four hours of shut-eye each night.

The electrocardiograms revealed that all of the volunteers had a much faster heart beat and significantly less heart rate variability following the nights of sleep deprivation.

Reduced variability can be a marker for cardiac problems and other diseases and has been linked to high blood pressure.

"If our finding is sustained by a larger group and further analysis, it may suggest why short sleep duration is associated with a heightened risk of cardiovascular disease and mortality."

No comments:

Google
'What can I do?' - SiCKO

Matthew 25:31-46

34 Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.

35 For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me,

36 I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.'

37 Then the righteous will answer him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink?

38 And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you?

39 And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?'

40 And the King will answer them, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.'