Friday, June 8, 2007

39 "Ghost Detainees" Disappear (?!)

It seems that people turn a blind eye to any news involving the mistreating of a "terrorist". If they truly are terrorists, fine, lock them up and throw away the key. But, what if they are not terrorists? What if they are not guilty of anything? What if this was you or one of your family members? The following people have not been charged with any crime, there have been no legal proceedings, some of them are women and children, yet they were held for three or more YEARS and then they "disappeared". Why the hell is Paris Hilton the top news story again today?!

From the AP -

WASHINGTON — At least 39 people from a half-dozen countries have been held in secret U.S. detention centers worldwide for three or more years, and their fates remain unknown, six human-rights groups say in a report being released today.

Human rights advocates said the document, which they called the most comprehensive account yet of so-called "ghost detainees," raises new alarms about the Bush administration's practice of secretly detaining suspected terrorists without any legal proceeding.

The report says that in five instances U.S. authorities detained the wives or young children of suspects held in secret prisons. And in four instances, terrorism suspects in U.S. custody may have been transferred to Libya, once a major adversary of Washington.

"It should be a sobering alarm bell that rattles us all out of our collective slumber," said Curt Goering, a top official at Amnesty International, which helped prepare the report.

One of the reports' authors said she wasn't convinced that the sites were ever emptied, and claimed a program of secret detentions was ongoing.

"We wanted (the detainees') names in the public eye because of the impression that this is over, this is finished, and they're not doing this anymore," said Anne Fitzgerald, a senior adviser for Amnesty International. "That's clearly not the case."

No comments:

Google
'What can I do?' - SiCKO

Matthew 25:31-46

34 Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.

35 For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me,

36 I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.'

37 Then the righteous will answer him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink?

38 And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you?

39 And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?'

40 And the King will answer them, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.'